In an attempt to reach the Million Trees Miami goal of one million trees planted by 2020 to achieve a 30 percent tree canopy for Miami-Dade County, our Street Tree Matching Grant program is now in its third year. Funded by Miami-Dade County, this grant engages municipalities, non-profits and community organizations in planting native or Florida-friendly trees on the County’s corridors and gateways.
The goal of this program is to leverage the County’s street tree program by encouraging investments on County or local streets.
Grants of $5,000 to $25,000 will be awarded to communities that demonstrate the greatest benefits for residents, employers and visitors, and can provide a stewardship plan for our joint investment.
Eligible candidates include municipalities, non-profits and community organizations. Grant applications will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Preference will be given to areas with low-to-moderate income populations and/or with 20 percent or less tree canopy
- Match (availability of funds)
- Community outreach component (plan to engage public for approval of project)
- Impact (diversity of tree species, number of trees, location)
- Ability to implement project by deadline
- Maintenance Plan (short-term and long-term)
- Grant announcement: Oct. 25, 2017
- Application deadline EXTENDED to January 31, 2018
- Award announcements: Feb. 16, 2018
- Planting by July 27, 2018
- Final report by August 10, 2018